Pages

Monday 12 May 2014

Love Yourself enough to... Look good

I got a message while at work last week from one of my dear friends who was visiting for a couple of weeks and she was inviting me out to meet-up with my other friends after work. I was reluctant to accept at first because it was all unplanned and all that and then she said the *magic words*, "We'll discuss my talk at the marriage seminar" - I was like you have just used my passion against me, how could I possibly say no to that?! Hahaha

I was all ready to accept when I looked down and noticed how 'dressed-down' I was (that's me being very kind to myself).
source
 First thing that came to my mind was "Oh dear, I knew I should have made more of an effort today, always be prepared Ayo, be prepared!" I did a few rush rush job after work and hopefully managed to look presentable.
Now, it was the conversation I had with my other lovely friend (who manages to look impeccable ALL the time!) while I was telling her about my little dilemma (lol) that got me thinking.. I was like "I didn't realise we were going anywhere after work, I would have made more of an effort etc etc" and she responded saying "Ayo, don't you just dress up for yourself? Do you have to wait for an audience to look good? How about doing it for yourself?" While we laughed it off with my preference for more sleep over picking out an outfit each morning, her words rang true for me.

How much attention do we pay to the way we look because like L'Oreal says, we are truly 'worth it' -Not because we have someone to impress or because we have a big occasion to attend but just because you recognise that you are precious enough to look after yourself whether people are watching or not. Do you value yourself enough to look good just for you?

It's not just in your clothes and the make-up but in little grooming pleasures that are such wonderful treats but which we sometimes unfortunately deny ourselves.

- When last did you 'splurge' by treating yourself to the spa (even if it's Mama Ndubuisi's corner) for a day out, or decide to get a manicure or a pedicure? Are you waiting for a gift voucher or for someone 'special' to arrange it for you?

- How closely do you pay attention to what you eat, to exercising - recognising that your spirit could be all fired up but if you neglect to look after your physical body, you could unfortunately lose it?

- When last did you ditch scrimping and saving momentarily to just buy yourself something nice (to go into a store to buy something nice for yourself - it doesn't have to be expensive, just something nice).

- Do you still have the same *fragrance-filled* extensions from 2 months ago. You know the deal with that - "no time to go to the hairdressers*

Have you ever felt the confidence that dressing up and looking good gives? It doesn't have to be expensive or flamboyant, just an extra thought for yourself and the way you present yourself.

Sometimes we pay a hefty sum for a simple meal at a fancy restaurant - Most of what you are paying for is how the Chef dresses up the food to look good! Rice becomes Risotto (with a foreign accent lol).. But it looks so good, you don't argue paying extra for it! Some people call it packaging :-)

Gently steamed beans dipped in proteinous substance aka Moi Moi :-) source
Jollof rice and Chicken garnished with fried Plantain :-) source  

Love yourself enough to take extra time in grooming yourself. You have a body that goes through wear and tear. You owe it to yourself and to the Almighty God who fashioned you so beautifully to preserve the beauty of you.

I am not asking you to become obsessive about your looks, I am only saying that it's time you cared enough to look good. 'Package' yourself. Take delight in spending a bit extra to look after YOU.. Look after yourself, spend a little more this month, treat yourself now and again and do it not because 'everyone is doing it' but because you are worth it.

And on the days when you would rather trade the grooming for some extra sleep, wear a huge smile - afterall, that's the best make-up :-)


20 comments:

  1. I love this post. We should always make a special effort to look our best, whether or not it is a special occasion or going to the supermarket. The last few sentences....wear a smile, love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Post! i should please ME! Not them.
    I should dress up for ME! Not them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so timely because my appearance is something that has wide ranges: 97% of the time I look just "ok" (or worse!), and I make an effort only 3% of the time. ;)

    When I see other people who always look good, I always wish I had made an effort, but like your friend said, my dad has always encouraged my siblings and I to work to look our best and keep our rooms (and later our homes) in the best care possible because we deserve it (and not for anyone else)! Great reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hahahahahaha! So true though, I'm so for looking good at alllllll times! Thanks for the reminder though, I need a pampering session soon *wink*

    ReplyDelete
  5. I absolutely love this post and completely agree! I dress up for me, lol.

    I find that picking out my clothes the night before makes a big difference in the way my time is spent in the morning.

    ReplyDelete
  6. lol at your after work dilemma! hopefully lesson learnt. I need this post. The thing about looking good, is honestly I don't think I have ever regretted making the effort to look nice regardless of where I'm going to. But I can recount occasions where I wished I had made more of an effort. And as someone said, I always admire people who seem to always look the part all day every day. I want to be one of such people. God please give me the grace and wisdom! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post, dear!

    A lesson was definitely learnt today.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This makes a lot of sense! That caption for Moi Moi though! Lol...
    and then the "fragrance-filled" lmaooooo...You are a trip!

    ReplyDelete
  9. and im SMILING.......i'm guilty of dressing for people and hating myself for not looking cute when i see my another person.....Thanks for this post i have to do it For me

    ReplyDelete
  10. so...am smiling at this post cos its so me...i would rather sleep than get up to get a dress ready for work...i look forward to no lights in the morning cos its an excuse for me not to iron my clothes..when buying clothes i look out for wash and wear cos i dont have to worry about it being rumpled...i know...i need help...*covering my face in shame* LOL

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have found myself in this your dilemma severally. Perhaps this is indeed the wake up call i need ;)

    GNG actually sums up what i am like most of the time!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. @HF, We should, oh you should see me going to the Supermarket on some days.. @last sentence.. that does the trick! lol
    @Anonymous1, Yes yes! Dress up for YOU!
    @GNG, LOOL @3% effort. Your dad is very wise. We deserve to look after ourselves.
    @Isioma, You crossed my mind when I was writing this post because you know how to look after yourself! Please hun, by all means.. pamper on!
    @Faith! So nice to have you stop by the blog!! :-D Thanks for that very useful hint.. xx
    @Anonymous2, Amen! People like that inspire me.. Let it just become a lifestyle
    @Our stories, great stuff. Thanks hun xx
    @HD, ha it's *frangrance-filled* for lack of a better description lool. Lord help us because no amount of perfume can hide the 'scent'
    @Ugo, yes hun, please do it for you, you deserve it!
    @Laraba, I laughed out loud when I read your comment.. LOL.. Purposely buying wash and wear? That's deeep! Hahaha.. God will save us today!!
    @Fluffycutething, Deliverance has come today!
    It has been really interesting reading some public confessions, I thought I was the only one, so it's great to have some 'testifiers' too lol.. Thanks a lot everyone :-) xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am ashamed to say that I've not had manicure for about 10 years, but i do trim my nails. However, I make sure i give myself a treat from time to time - invest in good perfume, I like to smell good, especially on Sundays (church ting) and sometimes dress well for myself, depending on my mood. I promise I will improve

    ReplyDelete
  14. @Anonymous, I cannot even talk to much about your manicure situation.. Let me not come and expose myself! smh
    I love perfumes too, absolutely love them! Smelling good is a very good investment (I love smellin myself after a longg day and still be able to get a whiff of my perfume lol).. I also have that 'Sunday Church syndrome' but looking good and looking after yourself should not be restricted to Sundays alone, give the other days a chance too lol
    As for that promise, it's you and me!

    ReplyDelete
  15. graciemama.com13 May 2014 at 14:27

    Hmmm.......thank you so much Ayo for this. This is just the wake up call I need.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I confess, I am extremely guilty of this. I only make an effort on sundays or when I have a performance. *covers face*

    ReplyDelete
  17. @Grace, thanks dear.. Even I needed it too!
    @ilola, all we Sunday Sunday fashionistas - something has to change hehe xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. SO very on point! Been putting off that spa session for too long.

    When you take care of yourself and look + feel good in and out, you cannot but exude positive aura and all that come across you will glorify your Father in heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh yes Abiola, you can say that again!!
    Please, please go for that spa session, and let us know how it went + take a picture if you can :-D xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. Dear Ayo! I am as guilty as you're. May God to take care of ourselves for ourselves. Nice!


    Please visit www.girlane.com

    ReplyDelete

You know you want to say something :-)