Pages

Wednesday 14 May 2014

Chronicles of Sebastian: 8 Things I Learnt in Nigeria About FOOD!


A few years ago I read a small book called 'A Meal with Jesus' by Tim Chester. I wish I could say it changed my life, or to be specific, my non-existing cooking habits. It did not - most often I still rely on my University’s canteen food, invitations after church and things like that. But what the book did was it gave me a new perspective on food, meals and hospitality: If you pay close attention to the gospel texts you will notice that Jesus ate A LOT. There are so many allegorical and real banquets, shared meals, invitations, teachings on food & fasting etc in the Bible. The author did an excellent job pointing out some lessons, which I will steal for this post (forgive me Tim!). However, since I’ve had many great 'food encounters' in Nigeria, I will 'Nigerianize' some points and add some other random observations:

1. Meals are great opportunities for fellowship. There’s something special about sitting with someone or a group, talking over a meal and enjoying life together. It’s so ordinary and yet so significant. In Nigeria, I’ve shared lots of meals in restaurants, conferences and homes. I still have vivid memories of people eating with me: whether it was my English class and me enjoying Eba after a tough exam or people from the village offering me all they had: I’ve experienced so much genuine joy and care through the talks and laughs around meals that I’ve realized how good meals are, to get to know someone, to reduce distance and to express togetherness. 

With a few of the many lovely people I got to fellowship with over nice food!

2. Hospitality opens doors and hearts. I’ll never forget the many Nigerians who have been so kind and hospitable towards me. Friends, CEOs, priests, dignitaries and even talkative Keke-drivers invited me into their homes. This way I got to know the country in a special way: their hospitality helped me to see Nigeria as a country comprising many individuals living their own distinct lives, in various families and places. As many white people don’t even know their neighbour, I genuinely appreciated the peeks I got into the lives of others.
It didn’t really matter whether they offered me pure water or a Malt drink: it’s the gesture that counts - a transparent host anticipating and meeting the needs of his guests.

3. Meals are about association. Jesus was accused of eating with obvious sinners like Zacchaeus, because back in his day, meals were a way to express who was included and who wasn’t. Pharisees didn’t eat with Prostitutes - no way!!! But Jesus did. He went into their homes and dined with them. He did not just preach, distribute some tracts and go on with the big guys. Part of his grace was that he actually cared about simple people like you and me, that he created intimacy by sitting around rusty tables with rough and broken people.
In Nigeria, some people tried to give me special treatment: I remember going to a Bible conference where some staff members almost insisted that I should not get beans (like everyone else) but something better. I tried to politely refuse these offers since I made it one of my goals to reduce as many cultural barriers as I can. I ate swallow with my hands and instead of Eva-bottles I was fine with pure water. Although I enjoyed some special restaurant invitations, most often I ate in dim and rough places that served lukewarm drinks since their gens stopped working. 

Where there is food, there are happy people :-D               
4. Pepe-Soup is hot. Hot as in spicy. O my goodness the first time someone gave me Pepe-Soup my throat was burning so much, I almost started praying my last prayer! A lot of Nigerian dishes are quite pepperish for my German stomach, but after a while I got used to it without using too much flagyl… lol Well anyway the various local dishes made me appreciate the diverse country - Afang in the South-South, Sugar Cane in the Middle Belt, and Indomie everywhere… :)

Delicious Sugar Cane
                     
Ola and I with her Indomie pen in Germany! (Indomie found it's way here too, lol)

5. Nigerians have some different habits for feasts. In Germany, you usually sit around the table and start eating together (either after a prayer or some general greeting). In Nigeria, there was no need waiting - people around me started chopping as soon as food was available :D. Even around Christmas, people just got their food, moved around and started talking here and there. In most German homes it is considered polite to turn off the TV in order to focus on the meal and the conservations, yet in Nigeria it was the exact opposite - hosts turned it on as I entered the room! The advantage of this rather 'freestyle eating' is that you don’t really need to wait for anyone and are more free to leave or change conversation partners, but I have to admit that I sometimes missed proper 'table conversations' and a more solemn atmosphere during special occasions.

6. Food production seems more tangible in Nigeria. Nigeria was a great opportunity to look behind the scenes, for instance, how meat actually lands on your plate. In my Nigerian home the guards regularly slaughtered goats, rams and cows and the cooking ladies usually processed the food and cut it into small pieces. I admired their lack of hesitance doing these things: Girls telling me how they killed animals made me seriously question my masculinity lol. Besides annoying mosquitoes and other insects I’ve never properly slaughtered an animal - in Germany you usually just buy pre-packaged food in supermarkets. It was nice to see these different steps of food production in real life; it makes the whole process appear more tangible and natural. The mass-production of food items in Europe causes many people to become Vegetarians (people not eating meat), a term that is probably not very common in Nigeria…

Poor Ram. I think I can guess what it's fate would be shortly
7. Fasting is tough. While attending a revival conference in Port Harcourt, the whole camp was forced to fast. I’ve never properly fasted in Germany, it’s not a common thing to do here. So I prayed fervently to God to help me through that painful day lol
In my short stay I’ve realized how many Nigerians fast quite regularly, for example for exams, special decisions or outreaches. Although I sincerely admire this willingness to sacrifice, it felt a bit odd in some cases. A girl told me how she 'fasts for success' in order to get better grades, others seemed to compete with one another who can fast longer. I believe fasting is a great idea, however you need to be careful not to make it appear like an automatism (do A, get B) or a sacrifice to boast about. Despite these words of caution, I’m grateful having been (re)introduced to this great and often forgotten concept. 

I had to forego all of this good stuff for a period when fasting! lol

8. Food reminds us of our dependency. Food is an equalizer - no matter how rich or poor you are, everyone needs to eat and drink in order to survive. Food is a good reminder that we are small creatures in need of His daily bread. White people have this stereotype of poor African children with big bellies having nothing to eat, which I have not met often in real life. Nonetheless, the truth is, no matter your colour or background, we are all like children in need. So the next time you eat, pause for a second and be grateful for the provision and the friends and family members around you. :)



That's all folks! :-D

***************************************************

Anyone who knows me can testify to my love for food, I am a proud foodie *wide grin*.. Now I see where I get that from - I am only trying to be more like my Jesus (thanks for that enlightenment Sebs :-))
I love the reminder that when Jesus was here on earth, he never discriminated on who he ate or interacted with. He was friend to ALL. It's food for thought indeed to consider how we relate with others from various social strata. Do we make an effort to meet everyone on their level or do we ensure that we make it clear that we are 'different' and should be treated so. Even through the mundane act of eating, it's possible to be an extension of the love of Jesus to others.

"When I am with those who are weak, I share their weakness, for I want to bring the weak to Christ. Yes, I try to find common ground with everyone, doing everything I can to save some." - 1Corinthians 9:22
*******************************************************

For all previous Chronicles of Sebastian posts, please click HERE.. Join Sabba again next week Wednesday..I look forward to what he will be sharing with us!
Please visit Sebastian's blog http://seb2nigeria.wordpress.com/ It's in German but you can use 'Google translate' if English translation is required - Lovely lovely blog!

Remember you can send an email: oneplustheone@gmail.com
Follow on Twitter: @1plustheone
Facebook: www.facebook.com/1plustheone

26 comments:

  1. Some people's fast are just hunger strike, cos it carries no spiritual weight, lol.

    You complaining about spicy food in igbo land? Mehn, enter a yoruba man's house, and let's show you what spicy really is, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hoped to be the first to comment! argh! Sebastian is SOOO right about "automatism". We're very fond of thinking that "if we fast = God blesses us" or "If we tithe - God blesses us".. I've talked about this before on twitter. God is not a genie who caters to every rub of the lamp. We're here to serve him not the other way around. Fasting is supposed to bring us closer to God spiritually but I've been guilty of fasting to get what I want from God. sigh. Where was Sebastian's home by the way?

    ReplyDelete
  3. lol ilola next time I am in Nigeria I am up for that challenge!

    Yes naijawife, thanks for that! Even the Israelites tried to use automatisms by using the arch as a kind of charm to win a battle. But God is just to big to be boxed into fixed schemes - he's always up for a surprise :)

    I was in Enugu 90% of my time. During the Christmas break and after exams I've travelled around a bit, but my home was definitely in the Igbo land.

    Naijawife by the way I had a look at your blog recently and it made me laugh and nod so much!! I guess I will never forget the "too much book" lessons. Keep your posts coming :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Honestly I like food.Make I no lie.i buy two times of some things I particularly like so I don't have to share with my sister.lol!
    But I do fast sha particularly when I want to curb the flesh.Pastor Adeboye made a comment once that those who have difficulty fasting have difficulty in restraining the flesh so on that note I try to fast just to restrain that part of me that loves food so much. I discover that it makes me less talkative,more spiritually conscious,less energy to gossip or get angry while am fasting.
    However I v been guilty of fasting when I need some things oh. Any bad dream or nightmare,fasting to the rescue.Going to the embassy! I fast!
    Doesnt help that at mfm where I worship,two to three days fast isn't uncommon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely post...very true about 'food' in Nigeria. Food for the most part is our way of showing hospitality and warmth. In my part of the country, Traditionally, you do not ask a guest if they want to eat, you just place the food in front them and invite them to dig in, because we believe that refusing an invitation to dine amounts to not accepting the hospitality of your host, so you are not given an opportunity to refuse lol.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @ngozi, dts so true. even wen d guest is reluctant to accept d food offer (claiming 2 av eaten etc), we stl go ahead to dish d food and serve. its our lil way of sayn we apy 2 av u in our home and u not a bother.

    ReplyDelete
  7. u so ryt abt d eating differences btw d 2 wrlds. atyms, i gt so pressured frm ds official eating biznes #i label it official cos its conducted lyk a business transction *oh, we gonna av breakfast at 8am; wat if i stl wanna slp til 9, cant u jst leave mine in d pot and wen im ready, i ll continue frm whre u guys stopd? lol. abg, i lyk d nig eatn habit o, eating shud b done as a recreational activity, nt an official actvity wen no b obama or patience jona i wan chop with.
    A response 2 ur fnshd product consumption - #I remb my frnd crying nd calln m cruel cos i dissected a whole piece of chicken widout battling an eyelid, buh wen d finishd product waka comot d oven, she was so apy 2 devour it o #lol#

    ReplyDelete
  8. @ilola, LOL@ hunger strike.. As in Yoruba invented pepper!
    @Naijawife,, Sorry Atilola took your spot (Atilola why? Sebs is Naijawife's hommie!)
    @Anonymous1, I don't think it's wrong to fast for a specific thing sometimes - remember Esther called a fast for the Israelites when a genocide was planned for them by Haman. It was veryy specific!
    I think the important thing is finding a balance whereby it doesn't become ALL about what you can get but also like you said, about being spiritually conscious and instilling discipline/self-control in our walk with God.
    @Ngozi and Anonymous2, lol @just placing the food in front of guests - I know it's rude to refuse food but i have had to do so in some cases and just bear the 'consequences'
    @Anonymous3, I'm guessing this is the infamous Ola! :-D .. Always great to read your comments! xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice post again, Sebastian.

    Enjoyed the comments as much as the post too. I also was guilty of 'automatism' until my eyes 'opened'..God is not man. Period.

    ReplyDelete
  10. loool my fave part was the "flagyl" part! i acually laughed out loud and told my colleague about it. nice post.
    www.folasoasis.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOL...lovely post Sebastian. Very insightful comments too. Don't want to end up reposting same.

    As always, glad for all the lessons you share from the everyday events of life. So much insight from just food. One thing I have learned for certain is that food opens doors for sharing the love of Jesus.
    I think it is such an accepted 'love/friendly expression'(although not all food is offered in love). To see it through Jesus' life just made more sense. Try offering food to a hungry man and sharing the love of Jesus with him afterwards, you will get a better reception.
    Agree with these posts and comments, they resonate so much. God bless Ayo, Sebastian, ilola, Anonymous and Ngozi M.

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOL...lovely post Sebastian. Very insightful comments too. Don't want to end up reposting same.

    As always, glad for all the lessons you share from the everyday events of life. So much insight from just food. One thing I have learned for certain is that food opens doors for sharing the love of Jesus.
    I think it is such an accepted 'love/friendly expression'(although not all food is offered in love). To see it through Jesus' life just made more sense. Try offering food to a hungry man and sharing the love of Jesus with him afterwards, you will get a better reception.
    Agree with these posts and comments, they resonate so much. God bless Ayo, Sebastian, ilola, Anonymous and Ngozi M.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @eloxie you are so sweet.Amen and thanks.

      Delete
  13. Hehehe Sebastian at the indomie part. Glad to know that someone considers the Nigerian way of food, an art.


    Please visit www.girlane.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. @Abiola, not a man!
    @Fola, LOL. That got me laughing too. Sebs is just something else
    @eloxie, you made so much sense on so many levels! Food is a powerful weapon! God bless you too hun xx
    @Oluwatosin.. Indomie deserves its own star on the Walk of Fame..

    ReplyDelete
  15. God bless NW, Abiola and Fola too. Forgive my earlier omission. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. @1+the one,anonymous 2 nd 3 equals anonymous same. chk out d writing style, its same #lol#

    ReplyDelete
  17. Seba Seba, see that dodo and eggs. Kai!
    Loved this as usual..

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow so many comments... it would take long to respond to each, so let me just say a huge THANK you for all your contributions, some of them really gave me "food for thought" (ha how that fits our topic) :)

    Have a great weekend wherever you are (and whatever you eat) ;) See you @ next Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  19. @Ayo, I'm telling you. It does! *lol*

    ReplyDelete
  20. LOL@Anonymous, I didn't even realise that! Hahaha.. I need to 'up'my skills
    @Frances, as in kai!!
    Aww, we love you Sebs we do! :-D
    @Oluwatosin.. let's run a campaign then!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your description of naija fasting...I had to hold my sides from laughing too much. I just declared a fast yesterday because, for some strange reason, I default to the idea that fasting = Better vivid dreams. (Please don't ask me why, lol)

    P.S. I shall not carry last on this blog anymore in Jesus name. Maybe I should start fasting so I can be among the top five commenters, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Every christain needs to FAST, cos through fasting and prayings we kill the flesh so that the spirit may live. God commanded us to fast as it is written in Joel 1:14, where God commanded us to declare a solemn assembly and cry out to him. Also, through fasting and praying we can ask God for whatever we need and he will grant it to us. It also draws us closer to God giving us the grace to live a good and holy life in his presense.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My only disagreement is that fasting does not automatically denote whatever we ask or request for.will be granted.

      Delete
  23. This is the era of the anonymous!
    Soon we shall get to anonymous 1,000,001. Lol!
    @anonymous preceding my comment,i agree with you. When the disciples asked Jesus why they couldn't cast out a particular demon,he told them that kind could only be cast out with fasting and prayer.Note Fasting AND prayer. They go together. And I try as much as possible not to tell anybody I am fasting.i keep it to myself and sometimes I make it all fruit fast when I really need spiritual strength,No sugar or salt.

    ReplyDelete
  24. @Maggielola, Fasting recommended lol
    @Anonymous, You are right, fasting gives us that 'consciousness' of God and helps to buikd our relationship with Him
    @Anonymous, As in, I am tired of counting lol.. But yeah, regular fasting is recommended for building ourselves up in God
    @Anonymous, Yes, it's not automatic.. God is not 'boxed'
    Thanks everyone for your comments :-) xx

    ReplyDelete

You know you want to say something :-)