Pages

Tuesday 21 October 2014

Married and Loving It!!! Feat Bola (Salt) and Henry Nelson *New Series*

I am a very excited woman today! We are starting a brand new series today on the blog. It has been 'cooking in my head' for a very longg time but taking off has been postponed and postponed (a lot of procrastination here)..

It was inspired by one of my dear friends and reader of the blog in response to the Waiting and Loving It Series. She said she loved the Waiting and Loving It series but that in addition, it was equally important to show what happens years after the first few years of doe-eyed love. We hear of marriage break-ups again and again and unfortunately, more people are losing faith in this beautiful institution founded by God!

This mini-conversation birthed the 'Married and Loving It' series. Married and Loving It will be alternated on Tuesdays with the regular Waiting and Loving It series and would feature couples who have been married for 10years and above. We hope that they will share with us a little of their journey thus far and useful tips (from personal experience) to sustaining a marriage, keeping the fire alive, managing conflicts and so many things I don't know (as I am yet to sign the dotted lines myself haha).

I am extra-delighted to introduce to you our first couple on this series. It's interesting how God connects us with great people in wonderful ways. I had followed Mrs Nelson's blog (and social media platforms) for a while and I loved the way she wrote straight from her heart in a way that touches you. I discovered that we attended the same church (Shout out to RCCG City Of David - Where the love of God reigns and dreams come through, where legends are born and tomorrow's history is experienced today :-D), however we only met properly a few weeks back! 
To make it even more interesting, even though I met her 'virtually' long before her husband, I met him face-to-face before I met her as we are both on the same course in church and work together on the committee! I love the way God works! :-)

Ladies and gentlemen I talk too much when I am excited so let me not bore you any further but go straight to our beautiful foremost couple of this series - Mr and Mrs Abimbola (Salt) and Henry Nelson!!

***********************************************************


Hello Mr and Mrs Nelson, It's a great pleasure and privilege having you as our first couple on the Married and Loving It 'Hot Seat'. Thank you very much for taking time out to respond to us. Could you please start by telling us how long you've been married?

The Nelsons: (Mrs) I still marvel at God’s mercies and faithfulness when I think that my Mighty Good Man (MGM) and I have been married for twenty-one (21)years now. Come, 01 May 2015, we will hit 22 years! I promise, it is purely a God thing! 

Wow! Congratulations, that's wonderful. How did you meet your MGM?

The Nelsons: I met Henry in my second year of University. We both went to the University of Uyo. So while we have actually been married for 21 years, we have been together since 1985! That makes it 29 years! Even I am amazed! *smiling*,

I am smiling along with you ma'am. That's really special, thank God. 
Now I don't know if you can remember your wedding day, but we'd like to know moments you recollect from that day?

The Nelsons: The part I love most about that day, the 1st of May 1993 was that it did not rain! It was a serious prayer point for me because the reception was to be outdoors. It was a lovely sunny day and I just thank God for that. I loved how my MGM tried to out-dance me on the way in. Our first dance too was special to me because we danced to my favourite song at the time. It was Boys II Men’s ‘End of the Road’ - I know, not the best in terms of song title considering we were just starting our lives together. But you know what? Now, as I look back, I see it as a prophetic song over our lives. In the past 21 years, we have faced some real ‘end of the road’ situations BUT God always always stepped in and just like the song says we never ‘let go’. Our marriage is still standing strong and our love has grown deeper. 

Awww, thank God for that. That's beautiful. (Ladies and gents, pay attention to your wedding song, it just might be prophetic :-)). Now, we often hear that the first 3 years of marriage are not the easiest, is that true? How was it for you?

The Nelsons: The first 3 years? If I had to use one word, it would be ‘Bewildered’. We spent the first 7 years actually trying to figure out ‘who on earth we had married’. You would think that having known each other since University would make it easier. This was not the case. So there was a lot of ‘discovering’ to do and we did not do it very well, I am afraid. This is why I tell young couples to use the dating period well. It is not a time to pretend at all. Be yourself 100% so that whatever you are showing is the REAL you. If you cannot cook, don’t pretend. If you are not a beach person, don’t pretend to like the beach. If your idea of a night out is sitting at home reading a book, be open about that but show you are willing to do other stuff because you care about the interests of the one you love. 

Aww, thank you very much for that, *note to self* "Be real at all times, no forming". 

Thank you very much for that.

Now, we come to a part in Married and Loving It where we ask our guest-couple to list according to the number of years they have been married, Things Marriage has Taught Them.. Here goes..

21 THINGS MARRIAGE HAS TAUGHT US - Mr and Mrs Nelson
(Can we just say before you read that we are no marriage guru. We are just a couple sharing our own take on life based on our experiences in life to date. It is good to learn from your own mistakes but it is wise to learn from the mistakes of others *smiling*. It will be a blessing if just one person takes away something from here that will help their marriages now or in the future). - The Nelsons

1. In Marriage, Love is not a feeling. It is a choice. And sometimes you don’t feel like making that choice BUT you do in obedience to the God you made your vows to.

2. When you are dating, you can get away with the idea that you love someone because 'they are fine/kind/gentle or they do XYZ' but the moment you decide to marry the person, your love must become UNCONDITIONAL. If you intend for your marriage to last, you must decide to love ‘just because’ for I can tell you for free that the day will come when your spouse will not look so fine or be so kind! Will your love just die then?

3. There is no such thing as a readymade soul mate. That title is earned. Over time. For instance, my MGM is my soul mate. I know that NOW because of all that we have gone through and today I can put my hand to my heart and say I never want to be with anyone else.

4. Trust is the bedrock of your marriage. DO NOT do anything that will break it.

5. Honestly, the only 3rd party you need in your marriage affairs is Jesus Christ. I respect all the elders and counsellors out there but at the end of the day, it will take you, your spouse and God to keep your home.

6. Be an OPEN BOOK to your spouse. Nothing is too little to share. There is nothing like the ‘Power of Clean hands’. Even if you are woken up from sleep, you can answer any questions without thinking because your hands and heart are clean.

7. Communication is key. Study your spouse and find out what works. How best to enjoy your time together and get the gist flowing.

8. Remember that one size does not fit all so DO NOT compare your marriage to anyone else’s. NEVER compare your spouse to anyone. It hurts and does not help.

9. Sex is SUPER important. I believe that where love rules, both parties will come to understand how to make this work for the relationship.

10. Be committed to making your spouse feel fulfilled and sometimes this means making up your mind to do what it takes to achieve that IN SPITE of how you feel. This means loving selflessly. Hard but doable with God’s Spirit. NEVER let your spouse feel ‘deprived’.

11. If you don’t remember anything else we have said, remember this - Whenever you are upset with each other? THAT is the best time to be intimate! God created sex as the one sure way of sealing the bond between husband and wife. The devil knows this too and that is why the first thing a couple do when they are fighting is to stay away from each other. Don’t do it. Frustrate the devil. Sex is praise, worship and a weapon of warfare!

12. Husband, never have a female ‘friend’ you are closer to than your wife. Wife, never have a male friend that is your confidante. It is a recipe for disaster. Period!

13. Do not do business with anyone you cannot introduce to your spouse. As much as you can control is, let all your business acquaintances be known to your spouse. If you are reluctant to introduce them, ask yourself why. Something is wrong.

14. After God, your spouse must be your number one priority. Wives, when you become mommies watch out for this. We don’t even realise this happens but don’t let baby take over your life. Daddy is still there and still needs you! *smiling*

15. You just have to learn to forgive. Forgetting will come with time but just let go of past hurts. Make up your mind to not let the past steal your future.

16. Dates nights are a MUST. Carve out a day even if it is just once a month for just the two of you to ‘be’. No gadgets. No other people. Just chill.

17. Fight but fight ‘clean’. Fights will come. They are inevitable but fighting clean means sticking to the issues at hand. Not dragging up the past. Fighting clean means no name calling or sarcasm.

18. Send love notes. So we are all on various gadgets now, right? So from time to time, send a nice message to your spouse to let him/her know you were thinking of them. It helps. Be playful…like you were when you were dating. Honour your spouse. Show you care. I love sincere PDAs (holding hands, opening the door for your wife, etc). You are telling the world "See my spouse! I am pleased to be with him/her!".

19. Please don’t fight in front of the children. We never plan to but it happens. Please commit to not let it happen anymore. Our kids are so sensitive PLUS there are learning from us. Let’s be good models.

20. Mutual Respect is so important. Never speak disrespectfully to each other. Never talk negatively about your spouse to anyone either. Just not good!

21. I personally do not believe any marriage can last without God being at its centre. Pray together as well as alone. Make Him the Source of your love for each other. Always try to emulate Christ in how you love your spouse. If you do, yours will be a Marriage as God intended.

*********************************************************

Woww.. I absolutely loved reading their 21things and I hope to 'chewit' even more. When I read no 11, I was like Hallelujah!! Hahaha.. But I am learning.

Marriage is beautiful, very beautiful - God made it so. Our prayer is that marriages will begin to fulfil the purpose for which God created it and that we will enjoy fulfilling relationships and marriages in our lives in Jesus name.

Thank you very much Mr and Mrs Nelson, may God continue to bless and keep your home in Jesus name.

*********************************************************

Please visit Mrs Bola Nelson aka Salt's blog www.thesaltchronicles.com
Also follow on Twitter @saltmatters7 

**********************************************************

Do you have any questions or comments please send us an email oneplustheone@gmail.com

Facebook: www.facebook.com/1plustheone
Twitter: @1plustheone
Instagram: @1plustheone


49 comments:

  1. Nice idea ma'am, I really enjoyed reading this, 21 years and still waxing great.


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks dear. Yes! Still waxing great by God's grace :-)

      Delete
  2. This is a most laudable idea 1+the one. We live in a time where marriage and the ideals this prestigious institution represents, has been watered down. I love this interview with my radiant, glowing sister and my brother- her beau. It's not only because her answers are so well written out but because they are authentic and true. The Bible admonishes the older married women to teach the younger ones about marriage and sis. B has done this very powerfully - there is so much to learn from this couple and their testimony is believable. Thanks for sharing so openly- those of us who are coming behind are encouraged and we know that marriage is meant to be enjoyed not endured. May God preserve this union for many more years to come. I celebrate you sistapillar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thank you very much. It's nice to have you stop by the blog, I am very grateful
      I agree, their testimony is believable and in true Salt style, very real, no mincing words :-)

      Delete
  3. yayayayay, i knew she would add taste to my life and made her know it.
    i've copied this....No 1,11 and 12....wow
    May this marriage continue to be a blessing, giving us hope that it can be done right and enjoyed.
    lots of love Mr and Mrs Nelson.
    Sisi Ayo, this is a great idea, may it's purpose be fulfilled :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yayyyyyy! No 11 was a real eye-opener for me.. And 1 and 12 too... Infact I love all the points.
      Amen to your prayers for them. May their marriage be renewed each day in Jesus name.

      Delete
  4. Fantastic opening to your new series, Ayo! Thank you, Nelsons, for sharing your lives...I'm really looking forward to following your very sound guidance when I get married.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANK YOU GNG!!!!!
      I am with you on that, I am filing away these nuggets of wisdom for when marriage comes :-)
      May God give us fulfilling and purposeful marriages in Jesus name xx

      Delete
  5. Yaaaaaaaay!!! 'My' Madam salt... Yes oh.. I claim amazing people (I'm sure she understands) LOL I read this in her voice. Loool
    Lovee it!!!

    This is awesome!! Waiting for moree!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww. lol
      She's such a beautiful soft-spoken and inspirational woman!

      Thanks for your comment Tommie xx

      Delete
    2. Lovely interview!. She is a highly respect woman. A great example to the rest of us who are still babies in the marriage academy :)
      Well done 1 + The One!

      Delete
    3. Spot on about Mrs Salt!
      Thanks a lot Traycee

      Delete
  6. Come on! I was not sure if anyone would have come by already! Thank you all so much. Tosyne, My Sis Unyime, The Beautiful Eagle, Good Naija Girl and my dear Arike (Yes, I claim good people too! Lol!). Thank you all for your lovely comments.

    I hate to own up to this BUT as much as you commend me, know and believe that I am still a WIP. Just ask my Mgm. I mean it and not just to 'form' humble. I am where I am now just because God is beyond merciful. I have learned much of the above the hard way. It is not necessary. That is why I share as authentically as I can. If you must make mistakes, make new ones. Not ones I made already. Please.

    One Plus The One? Thanks again for the platform. A real honour. I believe yours series will be a source of true encouragement and help to couples everywhere. And you my dear, like I said before, will reap a good harvest from the seed you are sowing here in Jesus Christ's name. Amen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just read your comment... Thank you for your honest and humble insights and for trying to help us not learning things the hard way. May God bless you and your marriage at least another 21 years IJN. :)

      Delete
    2. Amen! Thank you Sebastian. Yes, please, don't learn the hard way. It's true, we do read and learn a lot along the way. Some of it we retain, some we forget but by God's grace when you are faced with a new life situation as you pray about it, God's Spirit in you will remind you. Or lead someone to tell you. Or a sermon will highlight it. Or you read it again somewhere else. You see what I mean? If you purpose in your heart to do right by your spouse...God will help you do just that. More Grace and Peace to you!

      Delete
    3. Amen and amen to Sebastian's prayers.
      Thank you for being a blessing to us all Mrs Salt! :-) xx

      Delete
  7. thx for the new series, it is a really good idea to think ahead and learn from those who are far ahead - why should we make the same mistakes or assume we don't do any?

    I also loved their emphasis on being real while dating, I know it's not easy and the urge to impress / pretend can be strong. Hmm. Mutual respect (20) seems really important to me. How often have I heard of ugly fights, constant nagging, public needling, disrespectful glances, complaining to friends etc. I hope & pray that despite some bad tendencies within (e.g. becoming irritated or tired at times) I will treat my wife with the uttermost respect all the time.

    But Ayo while reading the comments I started to wonder: How on earth are you going to save all the wisdom you have already received? You've interviewed so many people, written lots of articles, read many books etc.: I guess it can overwhelming at times to think about all the things you want to put into practice later. But I suppose the more lessons one has "internalized" before, the better :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you Sebastian, I pray that God blesses Ayo Thompson in ways she never could have imagined. Her blog has really been a blessing. For all the efforts she makes for bringing this to us, God bless her.
      What a lovely couple and I loved how real they were too. I covet No 11. I will hold on to it till I get married.
      I'm loving this series. God bless you.

      Delete
    2. Aww thanks Sebs! You are a very good friend and I appreciate your support and encouragement.
      You're right, being real while dating could be difficult because you want to put your best foot forward... But it's wise to be as real as possible to minimise 'surprises'..
      Hmm about all the information-gathering.. Sebs, I will continue to learn till I stop breathing lol.. One of my desires is to be the best wife and mother the earth has experienced so I need to equip myself, spiritually, physically, mentally, financially etc etc (you get my drift? lol).. But most importantly, we never stop learnung and it's fun.. I possibly can't take all in but I hope to take as much as possible in while applying best to what fits my life and relationships by God's grace..

      Amen and amen Gracie!! Thank you so much my darling Grace for being such a wonderful friend. As in that no 11 was rhema for me too!!
      God bless you too hun, I am grateful xx

      Delete
    3. This is an amazing series! One I look forward to soaking lessons from! God bless you Ayo!

      And Sebastian, that's the great news about it all! We don't have to remember, the Holy Spirit does that for us. Just store up and soak it all in, when we need it, the Spirit will remind us of the truth we need to see us through.
      I just love Him! Hehe! I love the Holy Spirit. So no lele! :-)

      Delete
  8. I booked marked this page.
    Hmm number 11 is pure wisdom.
    God bless you Guys and may your love last forever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen! Thank you Anony! God bless you too! Yes, and you know I read a book by Joyce Meyer and she said the same thing. So it's not just some Naija overspiri thing. It's truth.

      Delete
    2. Pure wisdom! Thank you very much for stopping by and welcome to the blog!!! God bless you xx

      Delete
  9. Listened to your video shared by Salt and had to come here. Married and loving is such a wonderful idea. I pray that The Lord will use it to touch marriages far beyond your wildest expectations in Jesus name. And what a down-to-earth and frank way to start it off. Blessings to you and your MGM, Salt for sharing so deeply!!! Yes, yes & yes to 11 and 16. I'll surely be back to read more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, thank you so much and welcome to the blog! I really appreciate you stopping by!
      I say a big amen to your prayers.. May we see more marriages flourish in our generation in Jesus name.
      We look forward to having you back again and again.. God bless you! xx

      Delete
    2. So glad you came by Sis Irene! And a loud AMEN to your prayers for One Plus the One!

      Delete
  10. Oh I love this....#11 is really true....My husband and I discovered #11 few months after we were married and trust me....it took alot to get there..buh once you get there...you'll discover that you guys hardly have misunderstandings....(It is like a glue)......Wow!....this is really nice...I love this series....Nice one mamacita...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks mami! I am glad you can also testify about the importance and power of no 11 :-) xx

      Delete
  11. This is such a great idea Ayo, thanks Salt for sharing with us your marriage experience, may God continue to bless your union. You shared 21 great pointers, I loved number 10, where you say when married you should be committed to making your spouse feel fulfilled and never let them feel deprived, that is a great point you bring up. Loving selflessly can be difficult at times but with God's grace we can do it. Ayo may more inspiring ideas come your way

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen!! Thank you dear Sharon *hugs*
      I read that again today and I had to take a moment for it to sink in.. It is so important not to get carried away with other things and make your spouse feel neglected or deprived in the process.. It's not easy because life happens but like you said, by God's grace and a careful, conscious effort, we can be decisive about it... God help us!

      Delete
    2. Amen! Thank you so much Sharon!
      Yes, sometimes it is hard especially if you feel you are not getting the same consideration back, you know?
      But I have trained myself to not treat love like a tit for tat or ping pong game. If you give me, I will give you kind of thing.
      I promise, it is hard BUT the God we are honouring in doing this helps and rewards.
      I can honestly say that we can pray our men to be the best husbands to us Ayo is right, Prayer (Selfless prayer in line with God’s word) works. We just don’t pray!

      Delete
  12. What, did my comment just disappear. 😂

    @Salt, I wish you many many more years of marital bliss.
    Number 1 and 11 is so true......wow, 29years is like forever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww.. Sorry about that! I don't know why it does that sometimes..

      Amen to your prayers .. xx

      Delete
    2. Amen. Thank you so much Sykik! Long time! I know, right?

      Delete
  13. Absolutely amazing...well imbibed

    With these 21 spoons of SALT the Married and about to be married preserve their Marriage. Nice one ma

    My favorite points remains in my Chest...(winks)
    @saintrhymes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And the Spoken Word guru speaks! Lol

      Thank you very much St Rhymes!

      Delete
  14. wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol.. Hiya Kemi... Your first comment I think.. Welcome! Thanks for stopping by dear xx

      Delete
  15. Wow Ayo, this is such a fantastic idea, great to celebrate the things that work in a world where so many people make the loudest noises about the things that don't. Now, we all know so many people choose to wait by God's grace for marriage before sex, and now we are going to be learning from marriages that have lasted in the midst of all the pressures. Such a fantastic compendium of real life information. Reminds me of Paul saying older women should teach younger women. This is such a fantastic medium for that. thank you for all the fresh bursts of inspiration that you give life to here and thanks for all the work you do to sustain this tempo. Go Ayo! God bless you!!!

    I totally totally love Salt and her MGM and it was such a blessing to read from her as she shared about marriage. All 21 were nuggets that I plan to keep and go through over and over when I get married. So blessed to have them share fresh, uncoated truths. God help me to not be a collector of nuggets but a real life doer of same. The more I think about all I'm learning the more I realise how much God expects me to be and do and the more I lean on His grace rather than myself.
    Love the comments here too...Y'all are so refreshing.
    God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen Eloxie.. Thank you for your very lovely comment. I am glad that we would have the opportunity to learn a lot of truths from very experienced homes in Jesus name. Thank God!

      Amen at your prayer of being a doer.. That's so true.. Sebastian mentioned above about taking so much in, and how one is able to remember all.. Like you said, it's not about reading, what is more important is doing and practically applying them in real life - may God help us!

      Thanks a lot dear, God bless you xx

      Delete
    2. My dear Eloxie, thank you and I have no fear about you....Just continue to lean on God....That's all we all must do.

      Delete
  16. Wow!!! I loved reading this, as it was such an enlightening read... As in I love the series already.. hehehehe Okay Launching time.. ** Clears Throat.. **Wears Igbo Accent.. On behalf of I Engr. Chief Dr. Act. Pastor Boyfriend Son Brother Duru John de Beloved, Importer and Exporter of plenty things, and my Wonderful girlfriend Barr. Beautiful Lolo Wajilda hehehe, we want to launch this series with the sum of 1,000,000,000 LIKES.. please put it good use oh. :)

    Mehn Bubba, i love how this series is so practical and easy to relate to.. and #1 started me on such a high note, that i just wanted to read on.. And when i got to #11 i was amazed.. I mean I like the sincere practicality with which Mrs Salt :) Annalyzed marriage. I for one totally second the motion that it is important that people understand that Love is not an Emotion, but Love is a choice... i didnt know that till now.. Mehn One+ THE ONE.. I am so sticking to this series.. and i am going to buy me a new Journal to take plennnttyyy notes. :) Cheers Bubba..

    @ Mrs Salt, may God make you bigger, and may you and yours have several reasons to smile. I mean your Relationship is way older than i as a human, and I am glad you have held up so highly the joy of longevity, and the happiness that comes with it (as is so obvious on your responses).. In fact You and your Oga Boss(Husband) rock. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Duru Duru.. JohnDBeloved! Hahaha, fantastic launch.. Thank you for doing us the honour.. And you brought Wajilda too?? Double honour!
      PS I am waiting for those likes oh! 1,000,000,000 ain't a joke at all!

      Awww, I am glad that you gained a lot reading the Nelson's experience! I am taking notes alongside you too! Thanks bubba.. God bless you and make you an excellent husband to your wife in Jesus name.

      Delete
    2. I love this cyber-launching! Thank you Duru Adolphus Jnr. for your prayers. If you listen carefully, you will hear my very loud AMEN!!!!

      Delete
  17. Since 1985?? Oh boy! I need this annointing! I loved loved loved reading this. That 12 is just common sense but 11 is def my fav, hubby take note *wink*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Toinlicious! Good to 'see' you here! Long time! I know, 1985 abi? Only God.

      Delete
  18. Wow!
    Nice one Ayo, I have saved this for reference purposes...

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love the first picture. i enjoyed reading this post.

    www.auspiciousdeb.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks babes Debby and Deborah! Thank you :-) xx

    ReplyDelete

You know you want to say something :-)