Pages

Thursday 12 June 2014

No Words, Just love

My beautiful cousin has a very lovely dog called Skiddo.

Lady Skiddo :-)
As you can see Skiddo is a pretty litttle girl :-) And it's so interesting but I have learnt so much from how she dotes on her little Skiddo that it has almost inspired her very own series. To be honest I have learnt a lot from little Skiddo :-)

One thing I like about Skiddo is the way she welcomes people (particularly my cousin whom she loves dearly!!).. The more Skiddo likes you, the more elaborate your welcome is.. It's an absolute delight I tell you.. She wags her tail and depending on the level of her excitement, she raises her front paws and does a little dance of joy.. It's absolutely cuteee!

...Stay with me now, I'm going somewhere lol..

So, a few days ago, Skiddo welcomes my cousin very enthusiastically because she hadn't seen her in a while (probably the longest since they became acquainted :-) and you should have seen the show that Skiddo presented.. It was drawn out and she wagged, lifted the paws, twirled and threw in several joyful barks.. I remember laughing and commenting that "Oh, if only she could talk and tell you how much she missed you!".. My cousin's reply was that "Oh, she doesn't need to speak, I can definitely feel it".

Now that statement made me smile and I thought about it....

Bringing it back to our relationships with people, what if the only way you could express the way you felt about someone was through actions and not words? Would they still be able to match your actions to them to the words you profess?

There's a popular saying that 'Action speaks louder than words'... That means that no matter how frequently you say something or how much emotion you put into saying it, if you do not show it, it means nothing! Or if your actions 'say' the exact opposite of what your words say, it means nothing!

Sometimes, we say a lot of things to people that we really care about, yet our actions don't match the words at all. Usually, it's not because we don't mean them, it's because we don't make the effort to go the extra mile to exhibit how special they are to us or how highly we regard them, in addition to saying the words.

Wouldn't it be nice to have a 'no words' day or week in our relationships when we don't say the words but we choose to show it instead in different creative ways!?

I can just see it,*dream with me* You get back home after a long day at work and you are met with the sweet savour of your favourite meal and you are told to just set your things down, relax, and then be brought dinner in bed. With a foot massage thrown in while you eat.. Nice ey?

Now that's just one-off, how about the regular things you can do to show what you say.. Like being considerate, putting the other person's comfort above yours, giving a huge hug when you know that that personal touch matters a lot, springing pleasant surprises 'just because', giving that reassuring wink across a crowded room.. Little things that say it much louder than any words could...

Try it today, No words, just love xx




6 comments:

  1. Excellent point....show it not speak it. This is a great way to express our love/care for others, not just our "romantic" interests but our friends, parents, co-workers, siblings..... the list is endless finally Math5:44 "love your enemies"

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Sometimes, we say a lot of things to people that we really care about, yet our actions don't match the words at all. Usually, it's not because we don't mean them, it's because we don't make the effort to go the extra mile to exhibit how special they are to us or how highly we regard them, in addition to saying the words."

    I like that part. Often words and actions are played off against one another. My experience is that most people don't intend to lie when they appreciate someone, they actually mean it. It's just that they are not creative or committed enough to think about a nice deed.

    Funny enough, in Germany it's sometimes the exact opposite: I know women who complain that they never hear "I love you", while the man protests "I am telling you through my actions". Often this is the case with rather quiet and work-oriented men who find it hard to say these magic words ;)
    But I agree with HF, let's not reduce it to romantic love.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Exactly!!!! I once knew a guy who could say all the great things, but it always baffled me how his actions did not reflect his words at all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a fantastic post and what a great point!

    The way my dog greets me when I come home from work ... it is amazing to me the way she acts as though she hasn't seen me in years.

    But it is so true, if I couldn't talk how would I show my excitement to see the ones I love.

    Excellent post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @HF, Thank you so much for sharing that point and scripture. It's a tough call indeed when we have to think of loving our enemies and those who are mean to us but possible by God's grace.
    @Sebs, It's the same here lol.. I have even written about it here too about saying those 'magic' words 'I love you'- very important.
    I think Gary Chapman's book '5 Love Languages' is a very great resource for understanding love through actions - It's not only about what you do but ensuring that you are doing what is important to the receiver to make them feel loved.
    @Ngozi, Thank you dear for stopping by.
    @ilola, LOL.. I know what you mean! I have met guys like that too - #NotGonnaWork!
    @Faith, Thanks so much. I am glad you liked it. I love it too when I get the 'special' treatment from Skiddo. :-) .. I have mentally tucked it away for the future as to how I want to welcome my loved ones when I have my own home #LifeLessonsFromaDog :-) xx

    ReplyDelete

You know you want to say something :-)