Pages

Wednesday 4 March 2015

Music and Me: Ebezina - Preye

Wednesday is becoming one of my favourite days on the blog, Yeahhhh!!!!!

It is always with delight that I receive entries for Music and Me Wednesdays! I love reading people's testimonies and expressions of love and gratitude to God through the medium of music.

It's amazing how a seemingly simple song could provide comfort and deep relief at very difficult times, or even healing for the sick. Music can be a balm to hurting hearts and a mood lifter when one is down. Also, music is a great way to express worship to God... (Have I told you how much I loveeeeeeeeeeeee music??! lol).

Alrighty, this post is by a lovely young lady who blogs at omobolaji.com - A new blog treasure I have discovered.. You should visit also!

Well, even though from her name, Mobolaji is a Yoruba name, her song choice is from a different culture. - See... Music knows no cultural barriers (You could listen to a deep song in a foreign language and it would have the power to reduce you to tears!).. I remember the first time I heard the song 'Mma Mma' by Frank Edwards, even though I didn't understand most of what was being said, I fell in love with it before I asked for it to be translated.. But I digress..

Ladies and gentlemen, with utmost pleasure, I present to you Mobolaji who takes us on her journey of 'Music and Me'.. Enjoy and of course, be blessed! :-) xxxx

********************************************************

As I write this, “Ebezina” is playing in the background and a classmate says “Bolaji is in the spirit” because I lifted my hands.

I remember the very first time I heard this song. It was after a vigil and I had decided to spend the night with my friends instead of sleeping in church because my place was far. The person who played it from the back of the church bus played it once; just once, but I already knew I had to get the song. The beginning resonated with me through the night. “He’s the same God, who was there for you in the midnight hour. He’s the same God who is able to wipe your tears away…”
When I asked for the song before leaving, someone said Ahn ahn, that old song! I’m tired of it sef.” As I listened to it after I got home, I wondered how someone could call a spirit-filled song old! The song basically was on repeat from then on.

I did not understand the part of the song that was in Igbo (Nigerian language), but what I can say is that my spirit understood it. The song came to me at a time when I basically did not always know where the next money for school or church transport was going to come from. Someway, somehow I would get just about what I needed on the exact day that what I had was going to finish. It brought to life that saying that when you come to a point where it’s only God you have, then do you really know that He’s enough!

Every time I listen to this song, it encourages me to remember all the times that God has come through for me. And I tell you, remembering things that seemed overwhelming that God has brought me out of always stirs my faith to keep on keeping on.

I remember just before my current semester in school, how the dollar rate shot up and we basically had a family meeting on what we were going to do about my schooling in Ghana. The devil tried to tell me I was not going to be able to finish schooling here but will have to go to another university - The third time! I replied that I was not going to shed a tear about his lies.

‘Ebezina’ and of course the word came in very handy. I thank God I didn't waste my time crying about it because within 5 days, my school fee was complete with a little extra. After that did I let the tears come without holding back. However, now it wasn't from fear or sadness, but from Joy and Gratitude that God came through just as He always had and always will!

I have so much to share about this one song, but then this post might become too long. If you haven’t heard it already, please download it and let the words resonate in your spirit if you’re in one waiting period or the other. The video is also really awesome! I end with the words of this song ‘Ebezina'

Ebezina, (... Don't you cry) 
Chukwunonso (God is so close) 
Ọgịnị bụ nsogbu gị? (What is your problem?) 
I mana ọdịghị adịgide (Don't you know that God doesn't TAKE LONG) 
Nwanne muo (My Beloved) 
Jidesie Ya ike (Hold Him TIGHT) 
Hichaa anya gị eh (Wipe your EYES) 
Chukwu adịghị atụ asị (God never lies) 
Ọ ga-adịrị gị mma. (It's gonna be ALRIGHT)



****************************************************

Awww, what a beautiful testimony of God's faithfulness! I don't even know where to start from in terms of talking about the GREAT faithfulness of God. He is able to come through again and again in a very timely manner for us.

Can I be real? Not all days are rosy or happy or hopeful or particularly laughter-filled. Sometimes, all the doubts, fears and anxiety come rushing in and I feel down and out. 

Like Mobolaji encourages us in her post, don't waste your tears in self-pity (You can go ahead and cry to God, because He, more than anyone knows how you feel!), but spend your time encouraging yourself, immersed in God's word (like David did in 1Samuel 30:6), knowing that the God you serve is faithful. 
The time may seem long but by His grace, when the promise does come (because it will!), the period you waited will be as nothing. He will fully wipe your tears and give you dancing instead.

Borrowing some lines from the chorus of Preye's song, I say -  God is so close, Hold Him TIGHT, God never lies, It's going to be ALRIGHT (Really, it will)... :-)

********************************************************
Would you like to share yours too? Remember it could be a song that struck something in you when you listened to it, it could be a song or worship that you used during a down-time in your life and it made a huge difference, it could be a song that takes you into the 'God-zoneee', it could be a song that helps you express what mere words cannot quite convey, it could be a song that brings a zest and zing to your heart and steps whenever it comes up! 

Each song will be accompanied by a story, introduction or reason why it is the choice of the week.. 

Please send us an email oneplustheone@gmail.com 
Twitter: @1plustheone
Instagram: @1plustheone

7 comments:

  1. It will be alright....
    yes it will!

    When I got to "the devil tried to lie to me...a third time" but you didn't stand for it, I said amen!
    the devil is just a liar!
    Only God and his word stands true..
    Thank you for sharing this Bolaji

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I 'third' your comment Frances!

      Thank God for His word which remains true, in and out of season!
      Thanks dear Mobolaji for sharing... God bless you xx

      Delete
  2. That evening in a waiting period for several things when a friend sends you a song via watsapp and you receive a new post notification from 1 + the One and it's on the same song. And icing on cake, your morning devotion starts with Ps 119: 8..... Toh, I'll gladly take that, thank You. Thanks Bolaji and Ayo. Not like I had completely given up on God but I just wasn't expecting much from Him. God has indeed come through for me overwhelmingly in times past and like the song says Chukwu adighi atu asi (God does not lie). That word He spoke to me a while ago on a particular issue, will manifest soon in an amazing way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AMEN!!
      I love when those seeming 'coincidences' happen..
      Indeed may the manifestation happen soon in Jesus name xxxx

      Delete
  3. And this song has been on replay since. It's a really powerful song. God bless Preye. This verse in the Bible just came to me; I Samuel 17:36- "Thy servant slew both the bear: and this uncircumcised Philistine shall be as one of them, seeing he hath defied the armies of the Living God".
    When we go through trying times, we are quick to forget how He saw us through the past trying times of our lives. As Preye sang, He is the same God who saw us through the Midnight Hour. He will surely do it again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes! Thanks for that beautiful scripture reminder dear.. Indeed, one of the best faith-boosters is to remember all that God has done in the past and acknowledge that He is the same God yesterday, today and forever!

      Delete

You know you want to say something :-)