Pages

Monday 22 July 2013

Relationship Recluse

I have missed blogging (I shouldn't be allowed to say that anymore lol)... I am a repentant 'falling off the wagon' blogger.. I keep hoping for the best lol..

One of the things I learnt from my last relationship was the importance of friends and friendship.

I have a bad 'relationship habit'.. I can be (or used to be) very insular when I get into a new relationship or start talking to a prospective guy. It's very exclusive and my room becomes my best friend as that's where my lengthy phone appointments with him take place.. 

I find it very easy to excuse myself from the sitting room in order to spend quality phone time (interestingly most of my relationships have been long distance) with le boo.. It's not difficult for my time to be exclusively his when he comes to town and sadly, I neglect my friends!

The disadvantages are two folds - One, I make my friends feel unimportant and not that significant in the grand scheme of things and two, I become very socially reliant on the guy. This means that when he is not available I feel a bit bereft - this is a perfect recipe for being clingy and needy! (and a perfect water to quench the fire of romance too, lol).. Have some life outside the relationship, remember to hang out with your friends.. It keeps you balanced and actually makes you a better partner for your significant other. It takes the pressure of him/her to meet all your social needs! 

One thing I have come to learn is that it is very important for your significant other to recognise and respect the important role that certain people play in your life. Don't shut your friends out, don't shut yourself out .


Have you had any challenges maintaining friendships after getting in a relationship/engaged/married? Please share xxxx




4 comments:

  1. thanks for this post! I guys we constantly need to remind ourselves not to drift from family and friends because sometimes, its done unconsciously. Takia babe, more posts to come. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks a lot hun! I agree with you, it's a conscious decision xx

    ReplyDelete

You know you want to say something :-)