Pages

Friday 23 January 2009

Time on My Side

Today I was going through the Nigerian Future Awards 2009 web page and I felt a bit old :-(
I also felt challenged.

First of all, I would like to commend the wonderful YOUNG trio - the brains behind this amazing project. Kudos to Emilia Asim-Ita, Adebola Williams and Chude Jideonwo. You guys are pace-setters, trail-blazers, fore-runners.....Inspirations!

As I browsed through the profiles of this year's nominees and took note of their ages I was like "wow, I need to up my game". Nigeria has produced some fine young men and women! It gives me hope that our future is indeed bright with such excellent gents and ladies.

It illustrates that age is not a barrier to achieving greatness. You are not too young to be great. A lot of people aspire to be outstanding in their field "when they grow up". When do you actually "grow up"? The thing is before you know it, time is far gone and you only have your past to reminisce about and you wonder where the future of your past has gone.

I remember when I was younger, one of my Sunday school teachers used to drum it into our ears then this verse in the bible where Apostle Paul was admonishing Timothy and he said "Do not let anyone despise your youth, but be an example....." (1Timothy 4 v 12). Now I understand and appreciate those words that used to be like a nagging in my ears (Thanks Dr B!).

Simply put, the apostle was advising Timothy and indeed all young people not to allow anyone look down on us nor under-estimate us because of our age but we should aspire to be leaders and achievers in spite of our youth. Your youth should never be a liability, rather it should be an asset to working towards your goals. Does not strength and enthusiasm lie in the bosom of the young?

Time is not on your side, you need to utilise and maximise every single second. A little sleep, a little slumber, a little folding of the hand.......


http://www.thefuturenigeria.com/organizers.php (Profile of the Organizers)

http://www.thefuturenigeria.com/nominees_profiles.php (Profile of the Finalists)

2 comments:

  1. You felt old abi,

    you definately are not alone, i wonder what the heck i have been doing, you have talents, yes. but what are you doing with it?

    May God guide us into our paths, because if theres one thing i know, its that everyone has theit own paths and unique way of living life and fulfilling destiny

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen!

    Sometimes I think we need a PUSH and be challenged to get off and achieve something!! xx

    ReplyDelete

You know you want to say something :-)